9 Foods to relieve constipation
Best foods to relieve constipation:
1. Prunes. Dried plums, known as prunes, contain high amounts of fiber. The insoluble fiber in prunes, known as cellulose, bulks up your stool and acts like a brush, sweeping through your bowels to get everything out and keep things moving. Meanwhile, the soluble fiber in prunes absorbs water and forms a gel-like substance. This helps your stool pass smoothly through your bowels and improves its form and consistency.
2. Apples are high in fiber, both soluble in the form of pectin and insoluble.
3. Pears are another fruit rich in fiber.
4. Kiwifruit. It’s not just the fiber in kiwifruit that’s thought to fight constipation. An enzyme known as actinidain is also hypothesized to be responsible for kiwifruit’s positive effects on gut motility and bowel habits.
5. Figs are a great way to boost your fiber intake and promote healthy bowel habits.
6. Citrus fruit like oranges, grapefruits and mandarins are a refreshing snack and a good source of fiber.
7. Greens such as spinach, Brussels sprouts and broccoli are not only rich in fiber but also great sources of vitamin C, vitamin K and folate, they help add bulk and weight to stools, which makes them easier to pass through the gut.
8. Artichokes are important sources of a type of soluble fiber known as inulin. Inulin is a prebiotic, which means it helps stimulate the growth of bacteria in the gut, promoting digestive health.
9. Beans, peas and lentils are also known as pulses, one of the cheapest, fiber-packed food groups you can include in your diet. Pulses contain a mix of both insoluble and soluble fiber. This means they can alleviate constipation by adding bulk and weight to stools, as well as soften them to facilitate passage.